VMworld is one of the largest IT conferences around. Sure there’s plenty of official stuff going on but the community aspect truly drives the spirit of VMworld making it one of the best people + social meets technology events there is.
I have nothing to do with actually running the VMworld conference (a rather big job I presume!) so the running aspect isn’t about conference logistics but about some VMworld social kickstarting to your day.
Last year at VMworld, London VMUG leader, Alaric Davies managed to convince myself, Eric Wright, Adam Eckerle, Cody Bunch and others into doing a short, easy and scenic jog every morning before VMworld which was an awesome idea to kick-start the day. Alaric unfortunately can’t make VMworld US this year so we’re determined to continue the tradition.
We’ll be meeting at 7am every morning Sunday to Thursday outside Moscone South for a jog (+- 5km/3mi) down 4th, passed AT&T Park, along the water, under the Bay Bridge and back up to Moscone along Mission. If there are other route suggestions that don’t involve San Francisco’s hills, suggest one! You can run as fast or as slow as you’d like but if you go too fast you won’t be running with anyone else!
There is an official fun run/walk on the Sunday morning but if you don’t feel like joining something so official, join us, if you do join the official one, great, join us for the rest of the week.
You may be thinking, what the hell, I’m not doing that but let me help convince you why it may be a good idea.
- It’s fun and social, you get to meet other community people and chat about what’s going on, Last year with only a few people we had a great time, we even bumped into Chad Sakac en-route so this year will be bigger, better & even more fun (VMworld is all about the hyperbole!)
- No-one I know plans on running any faster than you can actually talk
- You don’t need to bring any t-shirts, vendors will give them to you for free and you’ll be doing your part to show them off.
- One of the best ways of getting over jetlag according to medical experts is starting off the day with some exercise followed by breakfast
- If you’ve had a few beers the night before, this is a great way to clear the head regardless of how little sleep you’ve had before the day starts.
- It’s early enough not to clash with other things and gives you time to shower and enjoy a well deserved breakfast before the conference starts.
- Conference and hotel food isn’t going to be that great so you can run and convince yourself you’ve done your bit to try to be healthy and then tuck in guilt free
Looking forward to seeing you at VMworld!